The Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation is delighted to announce the 7th annual Science Without Borders Challenge to promote the need to preserve, protect, and restore the world’s oceans and aquatic resources. This international art competition is open to all students 11-19 years old from around the world.
This annual competition inspires students to become creative while learning about important ocean conservation issues. The theme for this year’s Science Without Borders Challenge is “Connected Ocean: No Barriers, No Boundaries, No Borders.” For this year’s contest, use your artistic talents to create a piece of artwork that illustrates how the ocean is connected.
The Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation is a non-profit environmental science organization and ocean research foundation established in 2000 to help preserve, protect and restore the world’s oceans and aquatic resources through research, education, and outreach. Their mission is to protect and restore ocean health by providing science-based solutions.
- Applications Deadline: April 22, 2019
- Course Level: The scholarship is open to primary or secondary school students.
- Study Subject: The program encourages students to become creative while learning about important ocean conservation issues.
- Scholarship Award: Prizes awarded to contestant winners are as follows: 1st Place: $500 2nd Place: $350 3rd Place: $200
- Nationality: Internationally
- Number of Scholarships: There are 3 scholarships are available.
- Scholarship can be taken in the Maryland, USA
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
To be eligible, the applicants must be following all the given criteria:
- Eligible Countries: Scholarships are available to students from all around the world.
- Entrance Requirements:
- This international art competition is open to all students 11-19 years old.
- Students must be enrolled in primary or secondary school, or the home school equivalent.
- College and university students are not eligible for this contest.
- Work will be judged in two categories, with 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes awarded for each:
- 11 – 14 year-olds
- 15 – 19 year-olds
The applicants can apply through Digital Entry Form Submission.
How to Apply:
- Contestants must submit a digital Entry Form with their submission.
- Make sure you fill out this form before you mail your artwork.
- The Entry Form may only be submitted online at www.lof.org/ sub-challenge.
- All mandatory fields on the Entry Form must be filled out in order for your artwork to be considered for the competition.
- If you are under the age of 13, you must also submit a COPPA Privacy Form.
- Mail the COPPA Form with your original artwork.
- All original artwork should be mailed to Khaled bin Sultan Living Oceans Foundation Science Without Borders Challenge P.O. Box 5913 Annapolis, MD 21403
- All artwork must be an original work by the contestant and shall not infringe on any copyrights or any other rights of any third parties. For instance, drawing a character from a cartoon or movie is not considered an original work.
- The artwork must be 2D such as a painting or drawing. Acceptable media include paint, pencil, marker, crayon, ink, felt, and oil pastel. Digitally created artwork, including photographs, are not accepted.
- There is no minimum or maximum size requirements for the artwork.
- You must send your original artwork. Digital copies of artwork are not permitted.
- All submissions must be made by an individual artist. Group submissions are not permitted.
- Participants may submit only 1 art piece.
- Write your first and last name and age in pencil on the back of your artwork. Also include the same teacher’s first and last name, email, and phone number that you listed on your Entry Form.
- Place your signature on the front, right-hand corner of your artwork.
- Fill out all required information on the Entry Forms (online only). Make sure to fill out this form before you mail your artwork.
- If the explanation of artwork or the artwork itself is plagiarized, then it will be disqualified. 1
- Entries that do not comply with all of the contest rules will be disqualified.